Office of Aquatic Ecology and Taxonomy
Dr. Santiago Gaviria-Melo
Dr. Elisabeth Gaviria (research assistant)
Manuel Gaviria (technical support)
Fred - Raymondgasse 19/2/Top 4
A-1220 Vien, Austria
Telephone +43 1 285 52 46
Cellphone +43 676 660 35 63
|Dr. Santiago Gaviria-Melo|
1959 - 1971: Colegio Helvetia (Swiss School) in Bogotá, Colombia: primary and secondary school
1971 - 1974: Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano, Bogotá: Diploma in chemistry and biology
1974 - 1978: Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano, Cartagena: Diploma in marine biology
1979: University of Vienna / Austrian Academy of Sciences: Diploma in limnology
1980 - 1988: University of Vienna (zoology, botany)
1988: Ph.D. – graduation
Oligochaetes: Part of the course “Determination of Austrian freshwater evertebrates, University of Vienna. WS 1985/1986.
Workshop: Phylogenetic Analysis: Foundations and Methods. The Willi Hennig Society, Gothenburg Global Biodiversity Centre y ForBio, Sweden. August 2019.
Investigation, teaching activities and expert opinions
1981 - 1984: Public Authority of Water and Waste Water, Central Laboratory for Bacteriological Control of Drinking-Water, Bogotá, Colombia: sapro-biological analyses of the Bogotá river, limnological assessment of water reserves (rivers and lakes), waste-water biology.
1982 - 2004: Lecturer at different Colombian universities (Bogotá, Tunja, Medellín): lectureship in biology of continental waters, general limnology, zooplankton, zoogeography, freshwater invertebrates, microcrustaceans, bio-indication in continental waters.
1988 - 1993: Public Authority of Water and Waste Water, Bogotá: Head of Chingaza National Park (Andes, 500 km2, 50 employees), administration of the Park, monitoring of water quality of its lakes, reservoirs and rivers, investigation projects on biodiversity and ecology.
1990, 1992, 2003: Museum of Natural History, Vienna: scientific visitor, cooperation at the South-American and Austrian crustacean-collection of the Zoological Department.
1993 - 1996: University of Vienna, Zoological Institute: research assistant in the project “Limnological investigation of the Marchfeldkanal and the adjacent section of Rußbach: Analysis of the successions of benthic and planktonic invertebrates, administration of the project.
1996 and 1999: Mapping and analysis of sediments in waters of the Upper and Lower Lobau: project “Water supply Lobau – Scientific experiment, escorting ecological experimental program, scientific collaborator – by MA 45.
1996 - 2004: University of Vienna, Institute of Ecology and Nature Conservation: lecturer – 1. Course on taxonomy, biology and ecology of Austrian microcrustaceans (copepods and cladocerans). 2. Course on taxonomy of invertebrates of inland waters (ostracods, copepods, cladocerans). 3. Course on biology and taxonomy of Austrian rotifers.
1997 - 2004: University of Agriculture, Institute of Hydrobiology and Fisheries, Vienna: investigation contracts – Project: “10 years Gießgang Greifenstein: investigation of the zooplankton of biotopes with different hydrological conditions”. Project: “Fauna Aquatica Austriaca, Catalogue for the auto-ecological classification of aquatic organisms of Austrian continental waters” (copepods, cladocerans).
1998 - 2004: Cooperation in different Austrian expert opinions (taxonomy of oligochaetes and ecological analysis).
• Stagnant waters, Lower and Upper Austria. Company OIKO, Water Ecology, Vienna, University of Vienna and University of Agriculture.
• Water quality of running waters of Salzburg, Lower and Upper Austria (Lower Austrian Institute of Environmental Conservation, Ma. Enzersdorf, Company OIKO, Vienna; Technical Office Dr. W. Lechthaler, Vienna and T.O. Dr. G. Tautermann, Bischofshofen).
• Project Potamal, Luxembourg (2000 - 2001), contracting entity K.Groh, Hackenheim, Germany.
• Groundwater ecology in Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria: oligochaete-taxonomy, orderer University of Koblenz/Landau.
2000 - 2001: Company OIKO, Water Ecology, Vienna. Scientific collaborator. Zoological analysis, water ecology, taxonomy.
2002: Foundation of a Technical Office of Biology (Water Ecology and Taxonomy), Vienna 22.
2011 - today: University of Vienna, Dep. of Limnology and Oceanography (today Functional and Evolutionary Ecology), lecturer
• 1. Course on systematics, biology and ecology of limnic and marin copepods and cladocerans of Europe.
• 2. Course for identification of invertebrate animals of native water-bodies (ostracods, copepods, cladocerans, rotifers, oligochaets).
• 3. Course on systematics, biogeography and bioindication of freshwater ostracods of Europe.
• 4. Course on systematic and biology of rotifers of Austria and Europe.
• 5. Lecturer at the course "Identification of Austrian aquatic invertebrates".
• 6. Lecturer at the course "Exercises in Functional Ecology: Exploring Groundwater Ecosystems".
• 7. Lecturer at the course "Diversity of marine zooplankton and the evolution of animal life cycles".
• 8. Leader of the course "Limnetic and marin copepods of Europe and Russia".
2012 – 2019: Medical University of Vienna, Center of Public Health, Institute of Environmental Hygiene, lecturer, course „Introduction to medical ecology“. Block 6, Theme 4 of the Medical Study Programm.
Corresponding member of the Colombian Academy of Sciences.
• "The World of Copepods": World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) Datenbase, Ostende, Belgium (www.marinespecies.org/copepoda)
• "Revista Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Exactas, Físicas y Naturales", Bogotá, Colombia (until 2017)
• "Acta Biológica Colombiana", Bogotá, Colombia
Scientific "peer reviewer" of articles of the journals:
• "Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington", Washington, USA;
• "International Review of Hydrobiology", Berlin, Germany;
• "Developments in Hydrobiology, Suppl. Large Rivers", Dordrecht, Holland /Lunz am See, Austria;
• "Journal of Plankton Research", Oxford, United Kingdom;
• "Zootaxa", Auckland, New Zealand;
• "Crustaceana", Leiden, The Netherlands;
• "Systematics & Biodiversity", London, U.K.;
• "Italian Journal of Zoology", Lecce, Italy;
• "Zookeys", Washington, USA and Sofia, Bulgaria;
• "Travaux du Musé"um National d'Histoire Naturelle "Grigore Antipa"", Bucharest, Romania;
• "Biosystematica", Kerala, India;
• "Revista de Biología Tropical/International Journal of Tropical Biology and Conservation", San José, Costa Rica;
• "Nauplius", Journal of the Brazilian Crustacean Society, Rio Grande, Brazil;
• "PanamJAS", Pan-American Journal of Aquatic Sciences, Montevideo, Uruguay;
• "Caldasia", Bogotá, Colombia;
• "Actualidades Biológicas", Medellín, Colombia;
• "Ciencia en Desarrollo", Rev. Facultad de Ciencias, UPTC, Tunja, Colombia;
• "Boletín Científico, Museo de Historia Natural", Universidad de Caldas, Manizales, Colombia;
• "Revista Científica Fac. Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia", Universidad de Córdoba, Montería, Colombia;
• "Intropica", Revista Universidad del Magdalena, Santa Marta, Colombia;
• "Diversity", Geneva, Switzerland;
• "Subterranean Biology", Cluj-Napoca, Romania & Sofia, Bulgaria;
• "Natura Sloveniae", Ljubljana, Slovenia;
Evaluator of Projects:
"Colciencias" and "Fondo Promoción de Investigaciones Científicas y Tecnológicas, Banco de la República", Bogotá, Colombia.
|top of page|
Dr. Elisabeth Gaviria
1958 - 1962: Primary School Vienna 2, Wittelsbachstraße
1962 - 1970: Humanistic Secondary School Vienna 3, Kundmanngasse
1970 - 1980: University of Vienna (zoology, botany)
1980: Ph.D. – graduation
Investigation, lecturer activities and expert opinions
1981-1984 and 1988-1990: Assistant professor at the National University of Colombia,
Bogotá (Colombia): limnology, invertebrate morphology and general biology; different seminars and post-graduate courses at different universities of Colombia.
1982 - 1984 and 1988 - 1990: Collaboration in different limnological expert opinions in Colombia (reservoirs, sanitation of stagnant and running waters).
1985 - 1988: Austrian Academy of Sciences: scientific project employment, project Danube reservoir Althenwörth.
1985 - 1988 and 1992 - 2004: Cooperation in different Austrian expert opinions – oligochaete taxonomy and ecological evaluation: water quality of Lower Austria, industrial zone, Wald-, Weinviertel, National Park Kalkalpen, Danube river – Freudenau, different waters of Upper Austria, Carinthia, Styria, Salzburg and Tyrol.
1991 - 1992: Colombian National Bank, investigation project: Catalogue of the Colombian aquatic oligochaetes.
1993 - 2002: University of Vienna, Zoological Institute: lecturer (limnology of wetlands).
since 2002: Technical Office of Water Ecology Dr. S. Gaviria-Melo: scientific collaborator.
|top of page|
|webdesign by www.webwings.at|